Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend change. Houses are changed or demolished and new forms of housing take their place. Port Houses records some of these changes.

04 December 2023

120 Ferrars St, South Melbourne

2 December 2023

The 1226 sq m site is for sale by Tiga. (source: The Age)

8 July 2021

Detectives from the Port Phillip Crime Investigation Unit have charged a 30 year old man in connection with the fire that destroyed the factory buildings on site on Thursday 6 May. Detectives executed a warrant and seized a number of electronic and explosive items. (source: Southbank News, July 2021)

June 2021 

The site has been cleared.

corner Ferrars x Buckhurst St, South Melbourne 1 June 2021
Before the fire

Tuck's industrial packaging

Buckhurst St, with olive trees

27 November 2023

Barak Beacon Rd estate

20 November 2023

Homes Victoria have advised neighbouring residents that Building Communities has been announced as the successful project partner for four housing sites: Barak Beacon, Bluff Rd in Hampton East, Essex St in Prahran and Simmons St in South Yarra.

The redevelopment of Barak Beacon will deliver 408 new homes including a mix of social, affordable, market rental and speicalist disability homes. (source: Homes Victoria)

Delta continues work to prepare the site. 

7 June 2023 

Demolition of the estate began this week at the northern end. 

Demolition underway at Barak Beacon estate, June 2023

Barak Rd, June 2023

January 2022

December 2021

The government released its intention to demolish the Barak Beacon estate and replace it with modern, energy efficient housing as part of the Big Housing Build.

Details of the project remain unclear at this time.

The Barak Beacon estate viewed from Barak x Boulevard, December 2021

The area bounded by Barak Road, Howe Parade, Beacon Road and The Boulevard was a Crown grant purchased by the Housing Commission in July, 1974. 

This aerial photograph shows the former US army sheds that occupied the site before the estate was built.  

Charles Daniel Pratt, State Library of Victoria

23 September 2023

436 Graham St, Port Melbourne

31 October 2016

"This tightly held premier address debuts on the market for the first time in over seven decades—after just one family ownership!"

source: realestate.com

Graham St, Port Melbourne

March 2020

For sale by Marshall White

March 2020

189 Princes St, Port Melbourne

CoPP planning permit reference 912/2016

89 Dunstan Parade, Port Melbourne

November 2022

The house at 89 Dunstan Parade sold by Marshall White on election day, 26 November. Prospective buyers sought the shade of trees in neighbouring Julier Reserve. 

auction of 89 Dunstan Parade, 26 November 2022


378 - 382 Bay St, Port Melbourne

This handsome threesome of houses at the northern end of Bay St was constructed in 1900. The tree obscures some of the details described in the citation below.

The allotment was purchased from the Crown by T Fordham. By February 1900 the land was owned by James McLaughlan, of Howe Crescent, South Melbourne. During that year he erected three 8 room brick houses. It is described as 

'A rare example in Port Melbourne of a grand terrace of three houses, it is of unusually late date for the style. The terrace demonstrates the original mixed residential and commercial character of Bay Street. The terrace is notable for its elaborate parapet design and cast iron balcony decoration.

These three two storey terrace houses were constructed in polychromatic brickwork, now painted. They are relatively wide and have cast iron balconies and verandahs.

The central house is more elaborate than its flanking neighbour, having a triangular pedimented parapet and more complex cast iron decoration. In addition, the central house has tripartite windows, arched to the ground floor, rather than the paired windows found on the other three houses.

The cornice detailing on the two outer houses differ from that on the central house. The south house has a rectangular pediment which differs from the possibly altered pediment on the north house. The original decorative urns have been removed.'

Source: City of Port Phillip Heritage Review