Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend change. Houses are changed or demolished and new forms of housing take their place. Port Houses records some of these changes.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

378 - 382 Bay St, Port Melbourne



I have always been intrigued by this handsome threesome of houses at the northern end of Bay St, constructed in 1900. The tree obscures some of the details described in the citation below.

'The allotment was purchased from the Crown by T Fordham. By February 1900 the land was owned by James McLaughlan, of Howe Crescent, South Melbourne. During that year he erected three 8 room brick houses.
'A rare example in Port Melbourne of a grand terrace of three houses, it is of unusually late date for the style. The terrace demonstrates the original mixed residential and commercial character of Bay Street. The terrace is notable for its elaborate parapet design and cast iron balcony decoration. These three two storey terrace houses were constructed in polychromatic brickwork, now painted. They are relatively wide and have cast iron balconies and verandahs. The central house is more elaborate than its flanking neighbour, having a triangular pedimented parapet and more complex cast iron decoration. In addition, the central house has tripartitite windows, arched to the ground floor, rather than the paired windows found on the other three houses. The cornice detailing on the two outer houses differ from that on the central house. The south house has a rectangular pediment which differs from the possbily altered pediment on the north house. The original decorative urns have been removed.' 
Source: City of Port Phillip Heritage Review Database No: 256

Saturday, May 7, 2011

74 Stokes St, Port Melbourne

Iconica 

2 February 2013

Here is Iconica completed. Iconic? You be the judge.

74 Stokes St, Port Melbourne, February 2013

8 May 2011

74 Stokes St, Port Melbourne, 8 May 2011

This site was formerly occupied by a double fronted house - hidden behind a high brick wall. The site is located in the Mixed Use Area of Port Melbourne - the area generally bounded by Graham/Beach/Pickles/Princes Sts. This area contains some of Port Melbourne's most significant heritage buildings, heritage protected houses, and former industrial sites. It is also an area designated for growth. This has led to some tension in planning decision making as to what constitutes the greater imperative: growth or protection of heritage, and the interface between higher order development and low rise residential. 

This particular decision is a case study of this debate. Council refused the application but it was subsequently approved at VCAT. While I recommend reading the whole Tribunal decision, here are a few key points from the it's decision:

"30. So what does all that [Council's planning policy] mean? We are of the view that the notion of respecting character and maintaining amenity needs to be considered in the context of a site located in an area that is earmarked for growth, tall buildings and as a consequence, more intense development. "Change" of a substantial nature is envisaged in this area. It would be a nonsense to, on one hand, identify this area as being of metropolitan significance and for growth, and then, on the other hand, stifle the significant strategic growth opportunity that it offers by insisting that new development must respond to the low rise character of the traditional housing stock, or to expect that amenity impacts would be the same as those that might be more reasonably be anticipated in other residential areas where there is not the same strategic support for growth. The Tribunal believes that asking for significant change and observance of 'character' is the equivalent of driving a motor car with a foot on the accelerator and brake at the same time." Oakley Property Group Pty Ltd v Port Phillip City Council [2009] VCAT 1609 (12 August 2009) 

The development was featured in today's Age Council believed that it could manage this tension, but successive Tribunal decisions have favoured growth in this area over protection.