Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend change. Houses are changed or demolished and new forms of housing take their place. Port Houses records some of these changes.

Monday, August 24, 2020

53-63 Bridge St, Port Melbourne

also known as Catherine Terrace

August 2020

53 - 63 Bridge St, Port Melbourne

Find out more about the history of Catherine Terrace in this article by Ray Jelley from the Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society.

January 2018

Extensive renovations are underway.

January 2018

May 2017

Wallpaper is revealed as the rear of the building is removed.




29 January 2017

Revealing the roof


53-63 Bridge St - January 2017

10 April 2016

The planning permit phase 


53-63 Bridge St - April 2016

Planning Application No 179/2016 has been lodged for partial demolition and construction of alterations and additions of ground and first floor additions to the rear of the existing four single storey dwellings.

Source: City of Port Phillip planning permit register

11 May 2015

The houses sold on 9 May for $3,690,000.

9 April 2015

These three houses had not been offered for sale since 1959.

The houses were sold to Robert and Ella Atkinson by James George McCormack and William Thomas McCormack - associated with the nearby Cricketers Arms Hotel.

On 25 August 1967, the Housing Commission wrote to Mr Atkinson advising that under Section 56 of the Housing Act, the premises at 53, 55, 57, 59 and 63 Bridge St 'did not comply in certain respects to the Housing (Standards of Habitation) Regulations.'

He was instructed to bring the housing up to the Housing Commission's acceptable standards.

By 1971 Mr Atkinson  had made sufficient improvements for the Housing Commission to write again saying that ‘in view of the overall improvement in these properties, commission interest could now cease.'

Source: PROV VPRS 1824/P/0000 - 000042

No comments:

Post a Comment