Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend change. Houses are changed or demolished and new forms of housing take their place. Port Houses records some of these changes.

06 August 2011

51 Bridge St, Port Melbourne

March 2019

An article on this Heritage cottage, Port Melbourne  by Alexandra Buchanan architects was featured in The Local Project on 7 March.

History of 51 Bridge Street

This house is built on Allotment 15 of Section 50, shown on a Township plan of Sandridge dated 5 November 1860. At this stage it was the only land in Port Melbourne east of the lagoon which had been surveyed into allotments. Access was limited to a bridge at Graham Street or alternatively travelling around the end of the lagoon, in the vicinity of Raglan Street and Ingles Street. 

Allotment 15 was purchased from the crown by William V Buckhurst, an agent from Emerald Hill. During 1874 he erected the present brick house at 51 Bridge Street.

The building is a good example of a small single fronted house in Port Melbourne. It is constructed of dark brown and black bricks with delicate wooden barge boards and a turned wooden finial. The house has cast iron brackets and frieze; probably added at a later date.

(source: Port Melbourne Conservation Study, prepared by Jacobs, Lewis, Vines Architects and Conservation Planners July 1979, p167)

Heritage policy

City of Port Phillip policy on upper level additions to heritage buildings: The photographs demonstrate the City of Port Phillip Heritage Policy which is that:

'an upper storey addition is sited and massed behind the principal facade so that it preferably is not visible, particularly in intact or consistent streetscapes.' (Local Planning Policies - Clause 22.04 p2 of 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment