Evolving Port

Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend continue to change. Houses are changed or demolished and new forms of housing take their place. Port Houses records some of these changes.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

121 Liardet St, Port Melbourne

28 April 2013

Kyme Place has become the 'Treehouse' to its residents, according to the positive review of this affordable housing development in The Age on Friday 26 April. It is rare that the words 'delightful' and 'worthy' occur in combination as in the article. Clark takes a detached look at the development - her views not coloured by the controversy surrounding the development in 2008.

The project is a 27 dwelling building, comprising five 1-bedroom units and 22 studios across three levels above a Council-owned car park. The 'air rights' were transferred to HousingFirst (formerly the Port Phillip Housing Association) for the development and Council retains ownership and management of the public car park under the new development (22 spaces)

The project is targeted for low income single persons with significant links to the City of Port Phillip. The households allocated to the project have a mix of housing backgrounds, many having experienced homelessness or housing related stress.

It was completed in June 2012.

Architects: McGauran Giannini Soon
Developer: Port Phillip Housing Association



20 April 2009

The Port Melbourne Affordable Housing Project Assessment Panel Committee

The development proposed 31 rooming house units over 4 levels.

The application was originally advertised on 28 October 2008

The site was formerly a carpark created in approximately June 1988.


History of 121 Liardet St
Boats were built here! The Volunteer was built by Jesse William Merrington on the vacant block next to the Merrington's home, 121 Liardet Street, around 1920 or 1921.  The Volunteer was later sold to George Beazley.

No comments:

Post a Comment